The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Mike 85
Face your fears

Re: 25$ paintjob?

The "thing" about leaving in primer,even 2K type,is contamination.Even inside in the shop or garage,it will pick up "whatever" happens to land on it be it WD-40 to simple moisture which WILL come back out later. No amount of cleaning or sanding,which will only grind the contaminate IN more, will remove it.
Epoxy is your only "real" answer. A cheap touch up gun can work fine for doing most any spraying.Might take awhile for a hood or such but those "little" guns will surprise you what all you can do.At least you got something "good" on for the time being and all you need is a quick sand with 180 and when you get a full size gun,recoat it and get on with it.
You can pick up a gallon kit of Southern Polyurethanes epoxy for less than $200 which gives you 2 gallons sprayable which will cover a LOT.Or, Get a qt. kit for less than $60 and have a half gallon sprayable.Their epoxy will last for years sealed up.I know,I have some 3 years old I still use out of. Once you mix it,you have a 24 hr. pot life and if you need more,just mix fresh and add to the old and you got another 24 hr.
Just don't expect "primer" to protect much.

My Junk
Mike 85 is offline   Reply With Quote