The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
flynbrian

Thumbs down Help! My steering is loose and I cant budge the box!

I have a 70' C-10 with manual everything...I dont mind it except the brakes are a little lacking.

Anyway the steering is really loose...I mean like half a wheel turn to get the truck to correct at times. I am told (Many years ago) that the locknut and screw on the box are for adjustment and tightening it up. I have loosened up the nut but I can't get the center screw to budge...Its the one you use the large straight-blade screwdriver. Does this mean its adjusted all the way in? I even put a wrench on the screwdriver and tried lightly to force it to move...Didnt seem to budge and I didn't want to strip out the slot, So I been driving like this but its not pleasant.

Can I replace the steering box with one off any Chevy truck? Or are the boxes year style specific?

Also, there is several bolts on the plate that hold the lock-nut and screw...Can I just unbolt the whole plate and try to see whats going on?

Help would be much appreciated, Thanks -Brian
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote