The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
53choptop

Making a LWB into a SWB - shortening a '55-'59 Chevy Truck Frame & Bed

Its been a while since I posted, I have mostly lurked and learned. So thought my next post would be a good one. BTW I used glock35ipsc tech post on shortening a '68 LWB as a reference, measurements are different, but his great pics and description helped out alot to get the jist of the task. Thanks glock35ipsc.

This tech shows how to shorten a long wheel base (LWB) frame to a short wheel base (SWB), in this case my 1957 Chevy. This is a 3600 model with a wheelbase of 123.25 inches the SWB 55-59 Chevy have a 114 inch wheelbase.

All the measurements I got off frame dimension manuals online:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...esto/56071.htm

for confirmation, I have my friend-Ruben with a 1956 Chevy SWB that measured his truck frame for me at specific rivet points, cab mounts, rear axle centerline etc.

To make a LWB to a SWB, 9.25 inches needs to be removed from the center of the frame and 5 (I need to look at my notes again but I think its 5) inches from the rear frame horns.

This is the patient going under the knife.

53choptop is offline   Reply With Quote