The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
gavotter333

Re: Freshly rebuilt 350 burning oil and tappet noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
The brand of oil should not have made the difference to break the parts. I very much doubt the cam could have gone south in the last 40 miles of a 4040 life. But that said stranger things have happened. Had buddy who went through four cams that all went flat in his new motor.

I doubt that is your problem though...sounds to me like a collapsed lifter at this point.
I have to agree at this point. I have been doing more and more reading and talking with the builder. I think its unlikely that the cam is flat. I also think 40 miles might be an exaggeration. This is new york. I dont drive much as its been snowing and freezing. Although I did put 45 series Bridgestone Bizzac tires on the beast in Oklahoma. They stick like superglue.

The tapping noise also fluctuates a little. or at least did over the last few days. and at idle is not always there. I have a feeling that it might be the combination of the regular oil and the older w30 ND oil that has formed a kind of glue in the engine.
gavotter333 is offline   Reply With Quote