The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
skchevota

Chinese trailor bearings

I have had my 70 stored over at a buddys shop in fort collins for the last few months because of my lack of room, and its lack of windshield I could not have it out side. So I get a call from by buddy that they have an emergancy job coming through and need all the space they can get for the next week of so. So I grab my trailor and head to go pick up my truck. I showed up just about dark and my chevy fird right up like I drove it 5 minutes before. I was stoked, I even took it for a drive around the business complex. I drove it up on the trailer and noticed grease all over the trailer wheel. I cheked them before i left and it was clean, I look down and see that the cap is missing. I thought I must of lost it, then i moticed that the spindle nut was not in the center of the hub. I gave the wheel a shake and sure enough the bearings were gone. Luckly there was a napa dow the street that carys a full line of trailer parts. I pull the wheel and hub an find plenty of grease( I grease them regularly) but the bearing is in pieces. When I drove out the races it said CHINA right on them. What a load of crap! Amarican made trailer with chinese parts. i go to napa and guess what, they cary the same china crap bearings. The guy asked if i found eveything ok and i said yea, these ar e chinese just like the ones Ipulled out. he thought that was funny. I thought it was funny that a company called red neck trailer parts, sells parts that are as far from red neck as you can get. My point to all this is check your trailers often, if it has the same crap bearings as mine no amout of grease will make them last. Yu can bet the first chance I have I will be pulling the other hubs apart to see it they ara about to go. I did not have my camera with me but I did take a couple of shots when i got home of the 70s home comming!
Attached Images

Last edited by skchevota; 01-23-2009 at 12:50 AM.
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote