The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

92 chevy axle and front end in a 68 GMC???

My dad has a 1992 Chevy half-ton donor truck with the five lug set up. He wants to put the rear axle and front end on his 68 GMC. The 68 is a 2wd heavy half ton with 6lugs in the front and 8lug leaf springs in the back. If I remember right you can run the 92 front spindles on the 68’s stock A-arms with changing out the ball joints and a few other things. And I would think the rear end would work were it is a leaf spring setup on the 68.
So I have a few questions for you guys.

1) Does anyone know exactly what you have to do (or have a link) to the stock front end to run the newer spindles and disc brake set up off of the 92 on the 68?

2) Could I use a drop spindle for a 92 on this set up?

3) Would the 92 rear axle work pretty good for this application, length, strength, clearance, etc.?

4) What is the best way to drop a ¾” ton leaf set up? Flip kit?

Thanks for any help or advice. I am trying to get a plan together of parts needed so I can start cruising up to Idaho on the weekend and help my dad build his dream truck. I just want to have it all ironed out before I go up to help so that my time is spent working and not scratching my head.

Last time we worked on his truck we got it tore down to a rolling frame. But demo is the easy part

Last edited by lts70; 01-27-2009 at 12:48 AM.
lts70 is offline   Reply With Quote