The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
CaddyMatt

Smile New '70 Chevy C10 owner

Hi everyone

Yesterday, a friend of mine told me of a project Chevy truck that his buddy was selling because he had fallen on hard times, and he wanted $500 for it so I went ahead and scooped it up. I am completely new to the world of hot rodding and street performance (I'm used to driving a Caddy so you can imagine the difference) so I hope to learn much here from all you knowledgeable folks

It is a '70 C10, a little rough on the outside, but it has a 455 Oldmobile big block/tranny swap sittin under the hood . We're not entirely sure what car the engine might've come out of, maybe a Cutlass around that year range. The Holley carb on it has just been rebuilt, along with a new water pump, distributor, fuel filter, plugs, wires, starter, fan, and drive belt.

I'm having some difficulty getting it to start, I think the Holley carb is just temperamental (it will run for a few moments and cut off) so I'm going to try and investigate that today. The man who sold it to me said he had it running fine yesterday. What I know is wrong with the car is that the entire brake system needs to be replaced, the transmission cooler lines need to be replaced, and the speedo needs to be retrofitted to that particular transmission...

Like I said, the outside is a little rough, but nothing that a good DA, plenty of sandpaper, primer, and time can't fix... the bed is rusty, and the wood is non-existant there; the redneck who had it before the previous owner got ahold of some green spray paint and tagged up the hood; the roof is dented in several places; the windshield is cracked; one side mirror is missing and the other is shattered; most of the knobs/levers are showing age and resist movement.

But I am looking at this as a clean slate, and a long term project car (so expect plenty of noob questions OK )

I will try and post some more pictures soon
CaddyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote