The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
6600DURAMAX

Needed - Part-time tranny builder in St. Louis

Looking for a part-time tranny builder in the St. Louis area. I have a TH350 that was in good shape, shifted firm, etc. Did a couple of big burn outs…. Came home and noticed a little tranny fluid on the driveway. Wife came home and wanted to take the truck to town,(7 miles) I was hesitant because of the fluid but said OK. Did another burnout, just to show off to her…hahah.. by the time I made it to town I could really smell tranny fluid burning on the exhaust pipes ( really sucks since I have coated headers and exhaust). Pulled into Blockbuster and there was a line of fluid that followed me into the parking lot, when I came out of blockbuster there was a good size puddle under the truck. Made it back home and tucked her away (the truck) in the garage to be tore down. Upon inspection I figured I had just blown the torque convertor apart since when the truck was ideling in park fluid was flinging off of it. No noticeable fluid was coming from the front pump seal or the input seal, just flinging off the torque convertor. No big deal, I just ordered a custom Hughes Convertor and that was going to be it. NOW – I have pulled the tranny and the old convertor and do not notice any split in the torque convertor??? Where was this fluid coming from??? Could there be a hair line crack in the convertor that I cannot see?

Should I just rebuild the tranny while it is out?? I know the obvious answer is yes and I don’t mind the $250 for the rebuild kit but I would need someone qualified to assemble it. I have done it once before but do not feel comfortable enough to do it in this truck.

Anyone in the St. Louis area who build Transmissions on the side??

Sorry for the long post but thanks guys

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote