The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
tommyd241

The 68' needs some love!

Its time to get my 68 with a 250 back into good running condition. I want to do a full tune-up and here is what I've come up with so far...

1. HEI distributor. From what I've read they require alot less maintenance then the points dizzys and give a little more performance. I've been looking at the factory GM HEI's at Langdons and I came across a couple on ebay. Are the ebay ones any good? I will also get some 8mm HEI wires too (only found those on ebay).

2. A rebuilt 2BBL Holley/Weber Carb, adapter, and 7.5" air cleaner from Langdons. I really just want the truck to start up easier and run smoother. Is this a good route to take? Are there any gains in performance using this carb? Also will this carb allow me to run an electric choke (I think I read that it would)? Seems like that might help when I start the motor up.

3. Other stuff like... Steel bodied inline fuel filter, oil change, tranny fluid change, radiator flush, spark plugs(what are some good ones?), etc...

4. The brakes really need some attention too. They are drum brakes on all 4 corners. They are really spongy and I really have to plan on braking way ahead of time and then press them with a good amount of force. Kinda scary actually! I'm not really sure where to start with the brakes at all.

So, if you guys would give me your input and let me know if there is any other tune-up stuff I'm missing it would be most appreciated. A lot of questions I know, but I will continue to search as well.

Thanks,

Tom
tommyd241 is offline   Reply With Quote