The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
I bet it makes you happy seeing it like that. It does me. Our style of trucks makes me smile.
Oh yeah, it makes my sticker peck out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Kid View Post
lookin like a truck , you gotta feel good! she'll be done in no time. Can't wait to see her... Agian I'm diggin the hugger orange. I'll keep you posted on a bed. Keep up the superb work!
It looks so close but yet so far away. But, it is progress. I saw your ad on CL any hits yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Nice progress!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogorman View Post
Your truck sure is looking nice man. What brand paint are you guys sprayng? Your finish looks good too. What gun and tip size did you use for your base and what for your clear? I've had good luck using my sata 3000 hvlp 1.3 for base and sata 3000 RP 1.4 for my clears. I used to use the same gun untill I painted an E4 ford fender and blended the door and on my door I had mett. flecks in my blend panel. Then I went to using seperate guns.
I have my bed and fenders stripped down, bodyworked and ready for primer, but I dont know which im going to go with yet. What did you do from bare metal? Did you etch prime and then use high build primer or did you epoxy and then build primer? Did you prep your primer out in 600 and just base on it or did you prep it in 320-400 and seal it before your base? Both ways will work, but I just wated your opinion of what you did and why before I do mine. I dont know what system would be better since they both work well. I do all insurance repairs and dont have a lot of experiance in all bare metal completes, so thats why I ask. all i do at work is spot repair, panels, blends, edging .. insurance jobs dont do complete strip and refinishes too often. Thanks man. When you baked it - did you let it flash for 10-15 before bake or did you go straight out and kick on the bake? Do you guys bake at 155 for 45min or? We just got our blowtherm booth and it seems if I come straight out aand kick on bake immediately i get some solvent pop issues, but if I wait 10-15 or 20 ... bake it everything is fine. The paint rep says to immediatly bake it so as to not trap solvents and we use SIKKENS, but I think it needs to flow out for 10-15 before bake. Let me know what works for you thanks.
We shoot PPG at work. This orange is actually Sikkens base. I think is has a better color than PPG. I mixed up some and did some spray outs and liked the sikkens better. I know I could tint the PPG, but I'm not a painter by trade I'm still learning. I'll have to get the painters to help tint the PPG to match the Sikkens. It was left over from the Toyota truck I painted.

I've got cheap guns off the tool trucks. The painter lets me use his guns. The orange was sprayed with Iwata ???400. I think the tip was 1.4. He also uses the SATA's.

I sprayed DP90 over my bare metal. Then did the metal work and primed with a 2k highbuild.

I wet sand with 400 and seal.

I rushed the stuff I just painted knowing I will have to repaint for several reasons. The fenders have some solvent pop and the inner fenders were hard to paint both sides at one time and get all of the nooks and crannys. I will have to repaint the top of the inner fenders. I just wanted to get something done. Painting something motivates me cause I feel like I'm making more progress even if I have to repaint if that makes sense. I don't think I let it flash long enough between coats cause I've got some solvent pop. I also used rapid hardener cause it was friday night and I wanted to take the parts home. I baked it for 15 minutes and it was dry. Normally we bake at 150 for 30 minutes with regular hardener. We started using PPG Glamour clear, I love it more than the 884. I normally kick the heat on with in 10 minutes of painting.

I've painted several cars and have alot too learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh64pkup View Post
do you have a pic of the whole truck with the bed
If you want a pic of the complete truck go to post #1 and that is when I started the build. The only pix of the current condition is what has been posted lately.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote