The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #1
71wongbed

71 keeps dying and not starting...

I have been reading past posts for weeks now and slowly replacing parts and doing housekeeping under the hood, but I still have the same problems that have been bothering me for a few weeks.

So the truck just dies while driving, probably every other day. I drive to and from school which are 8 and 17 miles apart (two campuses) and it doesn't matter where (freeway, side streets, slow construction areas) or when, it just dies. I can try to restart it- sometimes the battery acts fully charged, cranks and I have to give it FULL throttle, fires up- and sometimes the battery acts drained, and If I wait a while (30-40 min.) there's a 50-50 chance that it will start up, FULL throttle again.

I have replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the tank completely, cleaned the fuel lines, replaced the alternator and the starter solenoid and kicked the truck very hard.
The battery tested good for autozone.
Probably not good, but I pulled the POS off the battery while running (the last time I had to jump it and drive it home) and the engine died.
Right now I have a trickle charger on it and will take it off first ting in the morning.

It's got a 350 small block, and for the most part stock all around.

I am stuck. I have done hours of research on the forums, hours of busting my knuckles under the hood, and still have to keep my bicycle in the bed just in case. Any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited by 71wongbed; 02-24-2009 at 03:26 AM.
71wongbed is offline   Reply With Quote