The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
JohnC

The Search is ON! Have a couple of ??

Hey everyone. I'm new here, and just sold my last projects to look for a 73-87 SWB. I have a couple of questions. I used to have a 84 Chevy SWB so I'm somewhat familiar with these trucks, but I have a few questions.
I know that 87 was the first year of the fuel injection, and 350 for the 81-87 styles. On the years before that did they start using any type of computers to handle things? Such as maybe timing, emissions, etc.. I don't remember my 84 having one, but didn't know if 85 or 86 had one. I would like to stay away from the computers. Just don't want to deal with a lot of sensors, and computer stuff. Did the 87's have all that much stuff on them? I know I had a 94, and they had the tbi setup, but I didn't know if the 87's had a lot of computer controlled stuff. Just mainly the injection setup.
Also I have heard that the trucks before 78 had body panels that were more prone to rust. I have never heard that before, but I do know that the 73-80 trucks around here are a lot more rusted than others. I also know that has a lot to do with their age, and most were used for work not for play back then. Don't see as many 73-80 SWB's around here as you do LWB's.
Thanks in advance for clearing up a couple of concerns for me. I'm looking for some as we speak, and hopefully will find a nice one soon to post pics of.

Last edited by JohnC; 03-02-2009 at 03:04 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote