The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
AirborneC10

Not Firing on all 8 cylinders

Took the truck out (1970 C-10, 350 crate motor, Accel electronic ignition) out to my motorcycle shop this morning - felt fine.

On the way home it felt strange, like it was struggling somewhat. Got it home, messed around with cleaning the carb (Edelbrock 650) and still not working right - heard a tick-ticking sound but not like valve tick (though it could be). Then I felt the exhaust, the passenger side exhaust was warm, the driver's side exhaust was noticeably cool. Very cool.

So clearly I am not firing on all cylinders on that bank (at least that's what I'm assuming). I pulled the plugs, none were gunked up (and they're new - about 3000 miles on them). The plug wires were checked and rechecked (even shocked the piss out of myself with one of them).

However that doesn't mean there isn't a break in the wire.

So I am on the hook tomorrow to get some new plug wires (needed it anyway as the ones in there are way too long).

However I am looking for suggestions as to what else it could be. I'm hoping the new wires fix it, but would like some other things to have ready to check if it doesn't.

The exhaust are straight pipes to exhaust manifolds and no crossover so I know that the cool pipe is running straight from the driver's side cylinders.

The electronic ignition is sparking (it runs, but there is a chug-chug at the cool exhaust pipe, almost like an old steam train).

Thanks guys.

Mike
AirborneC10 is offline   Reply With Quote