The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2003, 02:21 AM   #1
all4gss

Angry motor mount frustration...

hello all,

need some direction here. I'm swapping out my 250 straight 6 for a 350 sbc. I got a vortec long block to stick in here. I've heard all over the place that the motor mounts for the 250 straight 6 and the 350 sbc mounts are the same on the frame side. Since the long block i got didn't come w/ any motor mounts (for the block side) i purchased a flywheel and motor mount combo from Ebay. So i go out, pull the straight six. clean up the engine saddle and the frame rails around it. push my long block on the engine stand up a 30 degree incline that was about 40 yards long (up our driveway to the street where i'm having to work on my truck) get it up there. get the motor into position, and dagum the holes dont line up. so i get to looking and see that there are two holes above where the existing frame motor mounts are bolted to. I undo them and move them up... mean while we fall under a thunderstorm warning/tornado watch and i'm bustin nuckles and spouting the occational curse word trying to move these motor mounts up to the next spot.
So finally to my relief i'm ready to put the motor in again. Slowly inch it down w/ the cherry picker and get the passenger's side bolt in. I go around to the driver's side.... and oh my goodness, look at that. the holes still dont line up.

so i come to the conclusion that whatever i bought on ebay was not the correct thing for my little set up. That's not so bad.. except now my motor, a rented cherry picker, and random tools i couldn't find in the dark are all under a dirty tarp which wont stay down under 85 mph winds and it's all getting rained on.

so, i need to know if the motor mounts on the block side for this application are specific to a sbc in a c/10 pickup and also if by moving the frame motor mounts up i messed up what should have worked perfectly had i had the right block side motor mounts.

any help is greatly appreciated...

one frustrated mother trucker,

Keith

1984 C/10 2wd SWB.
all4gss is offline   Reply With Quote