The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
terd ferguson

terd ferguson says hi and posts some pics...

I'm new around here but have been on many other car/truck/4x4/hotrod/chopper/gun/fish forums around the innernetz. I've been into cool cars, trucks, and bikes since before I could drive. My interests go from turbos to drum brakes and almost anything in between. I'm a true "car" guy. And I can never leave them stock, lol.

So, after I sold my IH Scout II, I got this '63 big window long bed fleetside back in September for a new daily driver. I had one just like it but red about 15 years ago and wish I'd never sold it. This "new" one already had a lot of good stuff like drop spindles and disc brakes up front, 5 lug all around, 350/auto and brand new tires. I got it on craigslist for $1,500.

It's not without some of the typical rust in the typical places though. Like the hood corners, lower front fenders, lower doors, top of the windshield frame, and a couple of small holes on the floor by the doors. Nothing major bad though, it can all be fixed (and will be soon enough). It's nothing like the cheese grater my Scout was before being fixed, lol.

Here's the truck as I bought it...

Here's what I've done so far. My kids bought me a nice stereo for my birthday so I installed that. I painted the wheels along with the truck. It's just a satin black spray bomb job. I also got rid of about 75 pounds of exhaust. I cut the pipes just behind the cab and clamped on some turnouts (no inspection in NC for vehicles older than 35 years). I lowered the front and am in the process of lowering the rear. I'm picking up some TJ coils and Ubolts (for my diy blocks) tomorrow. The only thing I've had to fix mechanically since I've had it is a new thermostat and housing and a new battery. Not bad so far.

Immediate plans are get the rear lowered and paint the wheels gloss black with some chrome bullets and chrome lug nuts. I'm really tired of the red, lol. The rear won't be as low as the front, there will still be a slight rake. After that, I'll concentrate on fixing rust. I'm gathering patch panels now. Once the holes are patched, I'll paint it again. I'm going with a better paint job in satin black or a satin dark blue. Also, I'll freshen up the interior once the holes in the floor are patched.

Here's how it sits this very minute...

I also have a '53 Bel Air more door I've been messing around with. I got it as a 90,000 mile original but not running car. I've lowered it and put a new interior in it along with some bias ply wide whites. I fixed a bunch of stuff under the hood and got it running good. It's just something fun to haul the kids around in.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for this great forum. I've been lurking for a while and there's lots of good info here. I love seeing everyone else's drivers and projects. So thanks. I'll post some more pics once I lower the rear.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote