The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
joehalford01

question about a 65 i found

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted, my 63 is long gone (divorce) but I still have a ton of parts left over. I need another driver and I found a 65 for sale for $500. The guy thinks it's a longbed, but it's actually a short bed fleetside. I was pretty suprised. It has quite a bit of rust on the doors, they are garbage, but the cab mounts and cab corners are really good. There is alot of surface rust on the drip rails but no holes in the roof.

So my first question, what would cause the doors to rot like that? the bottom insides are completely gone, just water collecting in the bottom of the doors from sitting so long?

My second question, the four speed that's in it is super super noisy. It goes into gear with no problems and stays in gear under load (i had trouble finding the gears but i think that was me more then anything-never driven one with a four speed). The transmission just seems to make a lot of noise going down the road. What does that tell me about the transmission? Does it just need gear oil?

Other then that i was impressed, there was an inch thick layer of grime on everything under the hood, the engine sports a pair of mickey thompson valve covers...makes me wonder what else his grandpa did to the truck. All the gauges work too. It's been a while since I've looked into buying one of these trucks, the shortbed fleetsides usually go for quite a bit more don't they?

i'm leery because of the transmission, tell me what you think. lol, thanks.
joehalford01 is offline   Reply With Quote