The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
jdurant

Really custom wheel help/info/suggestions

As many of you know, I bought Ken's Blazer project. I figured it would be wise to start with from the ground up, in case there are adjustments to be made. So, I am working on two things right now. Finding custom brake components and wheels to mount them to. Brakes will wait for another thread.

As you've probably noticed I like to keep things somewhat stock appearing. Since a stock rally wheel just wouldn't do this Blazer justice, I'm gonna try to do my version (which will be a little different, will share plans when I've put them on paper) of a staggered 20" rally setup. I had planned to get a centerline smoothie(pic 3, 4) and basically just cut square holes in it like a rally. Paint the face and leave the lip polished. Then, machine the center part, if needed to fit the stock rally center caps.

I have found a guy that makes his living with a cnc machine cutting custom patterns in centerline wheels--almost exclusively for duallys. It's wierd but after much searching online, he's right around the corner from where I work. I think the business name is Dima Wheels.

Anyway, like every wheel that I like, they don't come in the exact size and backspacing that I want and it's a one piece, so what you see is what you get. So I called Centerline(well a few times back and forth) who've been alot more helpful than I thought they would when I mentioned cutting my own pattern. I was hoping they had some other options, or really that they would sell me a blank two piece with the face where I want it.

This is what we came up with(pic1). Funny, there is another thread about this wheel right now. He can send me this WITHOUT THE RIVETS in a 20x8 and a 20x9.5 with whatever backspacing I want because it is a two piece. I think it will work well. It looks like the center part will accept the stock cap perfectly(still waiting on a call for the exact measurement) without modification. The contours of the rim are similar, and the line that runs in the middle of the rim is similar to an original rally(pic 2).
Pic1.

Pic2.

Price is gonna be 400 per rim, then 300 to cut them. For a total of $2800. Not crazy about the price. But honestly, I have a hard time finding wheels that I truly like for less than that. I've learned over the years that one place you don't want to compromise is with wheels. JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS WHERE THINKING, ANY SUGGESTIONS, CHEAPER ALTERNATIVES, OR ALTERNATIVES THAT WOULD WORK BETTER?
Pic3.

Pic4.

Here is a crappy quick little photoshop I did awhile back to get an idea.
Pic5
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd

Last edited by jdurant; 03-18-2009 at 07:48 PM.
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote