The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
elks

New Guy, Old Truck

I had long dreamed of gettign this truck. It was my grandfathers truck who was the original owner. He passed away about 5 years ago and since then the truck just sat at my grandmas house. Well last weekend, out of the blue I walk out and find it on a trailer. Of course I kind of lost it for a bit. The next morning I was up early going through things. I found a wealth of little treasures.

My uncle (who gave up the truck for me), said the engine had a bad nock last time he started it 2 years ago. So I fired up the engine just long enough to go from the street into my drive. About 1 truck length later and I blew a rod. So the first course of action is a new engine.

It has pretty much everything original except: THe stereo (it does has an 8 track player). The seat is in great shape, not rips etc. Here are some pictures:

The paint was redone once, hence the non original cab top.

The wounded 350. I am going to have the High School Auto Class/Teacher do the rebuild which means no labor cost and more upgrades.

Here is the build slip in glove box. (No paper under seat though. I have a few questions on this. Like what was the 7.50-16.0 High thing? Also, What were the below eye line mirrors? I am thinkiing my grandpa changed those out to a wide set for the camper.

I also have hte original title. The original Laon papers, Owners book, warranty paper, etc. It has the original split rims with shiny hub caps (They are a little dented etc.)
Here is the rst problems I face. The drivers side door/floor board. This is the worst of the 2 areas on thh truck. How hard is that to fix? How costly will it be to get it done right? ANd also around the storage box on passenger side.

Both Door trims are in about the same shape. Can they be restored?

The dash area... Can the cracks on the pad be fixed with out redoing the whole dash? I have teeth marks on on the dash from when I was teething as a little kid. The first real marks on the interior to My grandpas truck.

Also was the second gas tank a dealer or a factory option? THere is one behind the seat and a spot for on under the bed. The one under the bed was taken out because it always leaked.

At any rate thanks for looking. I am hoping to get started on this build over the summer. I have jeeps to build until then have a summer trip to moab.

If you would like to see pics of the title, warranty, etc. let me know.

P.S. The activation time killed me I was wanting to share this with you asap. So far I have read on tihis sight for about 3 hours in the last 2 days.
elks is offline   Reply With Quote