The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
83burban

83 Suburban Running Rich and Throwing multiple Codes

I have an 83 suburban with a rebuilt 350 motor and a rebuilt computer controlled carb on it (this is a California vehicle). Both carb and motor have less then 500 miles on them. Here's what I know:

Engine runs rich:
I can smell gas and it has little puffs of black smoke when I rev it

As of yesterday - before adjusting the high idle - the motor pulled a constant 10 lbs of vacuum at idle in park (no fluctuation of the needle at all, just 10 lbs.)

Timing is good, forget the value. The dizzy has the ESC, so no vacuum lines there.

I will check the plugs later today for color, when I do an oil change and update.

Everything tune-up related has been done, filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, even did the coil and fixed all the grounds.

Check Engine Light: I cleared the computer when the swap was done (so these are current codes)
Engine throws codes - 12, 13, 21, and 34 - tested by jumping and counting

Light comes on only when I idle and will stay on until I turn the car off - funny thing though - If it turn the car on and jump onto the freeway and cruise the light will not come on until I slow to an idle (I believe that the idle circuit is running rich but am not familiar with the q-jet)

I have a new O2 sensor, coolant temp sensor, and ported vacuum switch that I will be putting on today as well, they were all broken by the POS PO.

What I need:
How do I tune the q-jet to run better (less rich). I am familiar with Holley - have always just tossed the q-jets. And finally - what are codes 12, 13, 21, 34. I think that 12 is diagnostic, and 13 is bad O2 but everything I have read says 21 and 34 are MAF sensors or TPS sensors (stuff this burban does not have).

Thanks for the help and let me know if you need any other diagnostic info
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote