The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #1
nvr_di

rough idle

Hi guys got an issue that started with just a rough idle but now it wants to die at stop lights and im having to drive with both feet to keep it running.
The background story is I parked my 69 c10 for 2 years or so and I just recently got it running again. It was running great except right before I parked it, it overheated but I didn't really think about it as it was my second vehicle at the time.
A couple of weeks ago I tossed some new fluids in it and it fired right up! and it ran fine accept for a bit of a rough idle and a surge when taking off from a stop.
This weekend I put some new plugs and a new cap and rotor. While we were working my buddy did happen to notice a bit of what seemed like oil under the truck. It was new oil color but had the feeling of oil and water. We couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from but it looks like somewhere on the back of the motor. I fire the motor up and it seemed to run great! The idle was better and no more surging. So of course I open it'd it up on the freeway and it ran great! Then I get off and it dies while stopped at a light. This morning I put in a new fuel filter just in case but of course nay.

Any ideas what I should look at next? Is it sounding like a head gasket?

Thanks I appreciate the help!
nvr_di is offline   Reply With Quote