The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
into69z
"brand new second-hand"

how to retore the finish on used parts

I want to restore the original finish on several under the hood parts like the metal finish on my 69 cruise control set-up. I think the actuater(vacuum) was cad plated, the bracket was just a bare metal color (not sure) and the transducer was a grey looking metal with a cad cap on the filter. Other items would be the altenator housing, hood hinges etc. Any ideas about how to refinish bolts....I know you can buy new ones but I'm on a budget and the old ones seem fine except they don't look as good as they could. I have used a wire wheel in he past but it always gets rusty again. I have access to a sandblast cabinet but I'm not sure which media I should use to clean up the parts?, aluminum oxide?glass bead? silica sand? Is there any information on what these parts were originally protected with? thanks steve
67 Camaro
96 Impala ss-sold
04 hybrid Honda-saving gas for the blue truck!:
b69:
into69z is offline   Reply With Quote