The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
1970CustomC10350

Engine Mounts-Stands?

Hey there Everyone! I'm trying to get up to speed on mounting options for 67-72 pickups. We have a 71 3/4 ton that we are putting a 400 small block with a 4spd. in. It had a 327 with a 4spd. when we got it. The motor was junk so I pulled and swapped in a 400. Anyway, while I was pulling the motor I noticed the clutch linkage didn't look right. The Z-bar seemed to be at a pretty good angle (like the frame bracket was mounted to far forward or the engine was setting to far back, closer to the firewall than it should be). Thinking maybe we had the wrong combination of linkage parts I made a trip to the salvage yard and came back with a diffrent Z-Bar, clutch pushrod and frame bracket. This combination of parts still didn't remedy the problem. I measured the holes for the Z-bar frame bracket on the donor truck and they are the same as what I have. I have been searching this forum for answers and after reading a thread on big block motor mounts byTx Firefighter I am wondering if that is my problem.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=122645
The engine mounts or frame stands I have, look alot like the ones he is refering to. If a guy swapped a small block in where a big block was would the engine set back further than it should be in relation to an original small block truck? This truck was oringally a big block truck with an automatic. To me it seems like the ball stud for the Z-bar seems a little low as well. I know I can probably fab something up and make it work but, I want try to get it as close to factory operation as possible. The previous owner told me he had a hard time finding a driveshaft for this combination. With the engines current position you cannot remove the HEI distibuter without first removing the cap.

Running a straight edge across the front flat portion of a 350 cylinder head on our other truck down to frame revealed over inch diffrence in location relative to this truck. I know if I move it forward I will have to come up with a diffrent driveshaft but, I would rather have it right to begin with. Any help on this would be great. Thanks
1970CustomC10350 is offline   Reply With Quote