The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

My 71 LWB 2/4 static drop - Pinion agle question

To start this out my truck sat right at factory height as measured in the LMC catalog.

So I went with the 2" drop spindles and 4" drop springs (variable rate as sold by summit) out back thinkin all would be well. All the parts were McGautys (spelling?) I also got new shocks for the rear.

I did the front first and it ended up around 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches.
Moving out back I installed these extremely whimpy looking springs (comparatively) along with the drop shocks. The truck settled down at nearly 5 1/4" drop.

So now my 2/4 is more like 2-1/2 / 5!!! Now I'm not usually one to look a gift horse in the mouth, a freebie every once in a while is a great thing, don't cha know.

Unfortunately it just didn't produce the visual effect I had in my minds eye. It came out level if not slightly lower in the back. I sat and stared while I drank a soda, pondering my options. I guess I could take the rear springs out and try and return them or exchange them for something else.

Or I could pull the frond-end apart again and shorten those springs up a bit. Maybe the backs not too low, but the fronts not low enough!
Long story short. Pulled the front springs and took approximately 3/4 a coil off and put it all back together, again.

Now she sits down almost exactly where I pictured it.(Still need the the new wheels and tires tho)I been thinking maybe Chrome smoothies 15 x 10 and 15 x 8 with say 275/60 and 245/60 Goodrich T/A's (easy on the wallet, hehe)

So anyway, what I was gettin at. I was just out mocking up a rear stabilizer and got to wondering just how much have I changed the pinion angle? I don't recall much mention about pinion angle in any of the posts about static drops. Is there a common consensus? The pinion appears to pointed slightly downward, of course I was twisted up pretty hard trying to wrangle that sway bar. I don't have an angle finder right now. I'm sure though that Harbor Freight has one that I can get the job done with pretty inexcheaply. Is it correct that ideally the pinion and the tranny angles should match up pretty closely?

And while I was laying there complaining about how hard it is to get under this dang thing now, I have just about decided to put off the new wheels and tires for a bit and dig a pit or build a set of those used car lot display ramp/stands so I can work on the bottom side. Lots of stuff needs tending to down there, ayeh.

I spoke of visual effects earlier, so here's the pics. The before
(Sorry 'bout the shadows in the wells, can't even see the tires! See Ten I am not)

and after shortening the front springs.

Add in about another inch or so of rake with tire stagger? and fill the wells with chrome and rubber? Some Canary Yellow with two fat Black Ralley stripes, tint the winders, lose the tool box, bumpers, tripod mirrors,..., LMAO

Tell me, what do ya think about:
  • The pinion angle question
  • The Stance
  • and the Dream

Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote