The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
1956cameo

?? about engine stamp numbers

My question is about the STAMPED #s on the front of the engine NOT the cast #s on the back of the engine. Those I know all about already.

On the v8 engines for 1956 what numbers were stamped on the front of the block? Is it the full VIN or is it the last 6 digits that make up the production number? Or is it even a number that resembles the VIN at all? If anyone could show pics of their stamp number on the front of the block that would really help. The reason why I ask is because there is a chance that a guy has my original engine to my Cameo truck and I want to know what was stamped on the block. Also I would like to see pics of stamps on the block to make sure he isnt just scraping the block smooth and then putting my numbers on there to make a profit off of me. If I have pics of other 56 265 block stampings I can make sure if he has it the numbers are stamped the way they should be (right size, font, etc..)

If anyone wants to give info or pic for any year 55-59 trucks that would help but what I am looking for the most is the information on 1956 chevy v8 trucks. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Also he has some hydramatic engines for the 55-59 trucks for sale. What would be a good price for one? They are complete but no driveshaft, steering column or linkage. Also were they the same for all of those years or were they different for certain years? Also they look like they take a special yolk on the back is this true or does the regular yolk for manual trans trucks fit as well? Sorry for all of the questions just trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row before handing cash over.

Last edited by 1956cameo; 03-30-2009 at 05:40 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote