The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
PA-IndianRider

It was bound to happen... V8 swap on the way

As many of you know I picked up a G-Body El Camino last Fall. A southern car (alabama) V-6 three speed on the floor. I have driven it ALL WINTER as my daily driver having only to replace the battery. But like most "piston heads" I have been constantly thinking about swapping the six for a SBC. I have a 350 on an engine stand in my workshop that I thought of using "as is". Then I thought I would do a "mild rebuild" so I tore down the 350 so I could send it to the machine to have it checked out, magnafluxed, etc.

Then I LUCKILY came across an ENGINE & TRANNY for sale than will cost me less than to rebuild the 350 in my workshop. The brother of a guy who works at a shop I deal with is selling me a 350 (.030 over) - 4 bolt - that only has about 3k on it since a "machine shop" rebuild. It's a street/strip setup that was used in his "daily driver" G-Body 2dr sedan. Performer manifold - 650 Holley double pumper - MSD Ignition - Chet Herbert Roller Cam - Roller rockers - 10 to 1 compression - Vortec Heads and a 5 speed. A great deal.... for a change. Plus I get to use the shop to pull the six out, clean-up the engine compartment & undercarriage and detail it out before swapping in the 350.

I'm excited about the swap and especially the fact that I got a "break" for a change. I usually hear about deals like this just after someone else gets the deal.
Attached Images

"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?

Last edited by PA-IndianRider; 03-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote