The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
MagmaJct

Let me introduce my truck.

Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself to the forum, and my truck. I am the owner of a 1971 Chevy C10 Deluxe. This truck used to belong to my grandfather who lived in northern California. I remember the truck as far back as the 80s when I was a child. I grew up in San Diego, and twice a year we'd visit my grandparents in northern California.

My grandfather was ex-Marine, and was mostly blind, so he didn't drive anymore. My grandmother never had a driver's license in her life, and never drove. So, for the most part, the truck sat unused. Whenever we'd visit however, my mom would drive the truck as one should do from time to time with any vehicle that sits.

I remember it had bias ply tires, I remember climbing into the passenger side. The interior seemed so huge to me with the dash to far away, and the bend seat seemed to stretch on seemingly forever. I remember the sound of the gas sloshing around in the tank. I wanted that truck. It was a beautiful truck.

My grandfather passed away in the early 90s. My uncle moved in to help grandma out. He drove the truck most of the time while living there. It had only about 50,000 miles at the time.

A neighbor across the street from my grandmother had a similar truck that never seemed to run. One morning my grandmother and uncle where heading out when they noticed the hood barely open. Upon further inspection, they found the air cleaner on the ground. Someone had stolen the carburetor. Interestingly enough, a few days later the truck across the street was running. Hmmm...

Around 2000 my grandmother passed away. My mom tried to convince my uncle to give me the truck, but he kept it. He moved to 29 Palms, essentially a desert. December of 2007 my uncle passed away. My mom gave me the truck. It was bitter sweet. I didn't have a close relationship with my uncle, so I hadn't seen him, or the truck for several years. I was happy to have the truck, but saddened that it was because of his death.

Except for a few items, including the Carter AFB carb, the truck is original and in amazing condition. It has about 120,000 miles on it (to lazy to check for the purpose of this message. I'm also to lazy to hook up my scanner to upload some pics.)

I found the original owner's manual. It had a California registration receipt from 1973. One of my grandparents signed their last name on the receipt. It was for $3.

When people ask if I'm willing to sell it, and they ask for how much, I tell them I cannot put a price on it. This truck is worth more to me than all the money in the world.

Thanks for reading my introduction. I'll be sure to post pics to this tread within the next few days.

--Mike

P.S. I'm pretty busy in life, so I'll probably be more of a lurker.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote