The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
71wongbed

Dies and won't start...

So, my '71 is driving me crazy lately.
The latest is it will just die and then refuse to start. I think I have narrowed it down to the carb (because i've replaced everything from the tank to the carb in the fuel system, and the ign coil, plugs and wires). Tell me if I'm wrong.
It's got a Edel 1406 and I was recently reading and noticed that the electric choke was never hooked up, so I ran a wire to the hot side, but it looks like it's not 12v, so that needs to be looked at, but this problem has been leaving me stranded for months before this.
I will be driving, and the truck will just die. It is more likely to happen when I pull off the accelerator especially like when I am getting off the freeway, so higher speeds. But it has happened when just driving down a side street. Time of day doesn't seem to be an issue, nor does summer or winter.
This last time it died as i pulled off the freeway, I coasted into a parking lot because it refused to start. I cranked it with no throttle, feathered throttle, FULL throttle and never could get it to start. As I crank it smells kinda gassy near the hood, so my guess is that it is totally flooded. Help!
The truck has been sitting there for two days, and I'll be going up there tomorrow to see if it will start so I can get it home to work on it.
I'm a student/dad with very little time, so any help/direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reuben