The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

Saturday pics (4-11) Drop FAQs...(AKA making it WORTHLESS!)

Hey gang! I see a lot of questions here on the forum about dropping these trucks. Since we had plans to lower my lil bro's pickup I took the opportunity to try to document the process. I took a few short vids as well as some pics of the shenannigans! By no means is this considered a "how to"...it's just how we did it. Now....let's Get on it doggone it!!

All the parts came from Early Classic Enterprises. They're the only company that I've ever used for dropping a truck, and they're the only company that I would recommend! After scanning the instructions I saw that most of the questions I see asked here were answered in the instructions. So...once you get your parts read the instructions guys!

I made a feeble attempt to photograph the phone so you could see that how long this process takes in real time. "How long should it take to drop my truck?" Is a question that turns up a lot....stay tuned for the final tally...

Video intro...(I really don't think I sound so much like a hick in person...Oh well!)

"How do you seperate the tie rod from the spindle without damaging it?"

We removed the cotter pin backed off the nut and applied a couple firm whacks with a large hammer.

"How do you seperate the balljoints from the spindle?"

Again, We removed the cotter pins from the ball joints and backed off the nuts. The trucks frame is supported by jackstands. Notice the control arms are hangin freely. The pressure from the stock springs will do the work for you...well, after a couple whacks with a hammer.

" Do I need a coil spring compressor to remove my coils once I have the spindle off?" Short answer...Nope. Let's backtrack just a bit. Once you've seperated the balljoints from the spindle you're going to place a jack under the lower control arm and apply some pressure. Once you've removed your spindle let the jack down slowly and the spring will just fall out on to the ground. We had the caliper tied up with a coat hanger...the coat hanger failed. Be sure you have em tied up securely to prevent this from happening to you! No harm occured as far as we can tell...

"Will I need a coil spring compressor to re-install my coils" Short answer..Nope. There is an indention in the control arm and in the upper pocket that the end of the coil rests in...You'll know it when you see it. We generally place the upper end in place and then use a jack to push up the lower control arm until it's high enough to install the spindle.

Again! This isn't what we do for a living. We're just a couple a guys that wanted to have a bit of fun by showing ya'll how we do things!

Give me a minute and we'll move on to the back!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote