The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Re: The 283 Rebuild Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason65 View Post
Is the motor already broken in? If not don't forget some break in additive.
No, the motor is a virgin rebuild. What additive and brand?

Put gas in the tank Saturday, but got stuck on basic electrical again, when I went and tried to hook up the 'old school' alternator. The truck came to me with a one-wire, but that was gone when I got her back from being stolen.

All the wiring was hacked up and while getting ready to install and hook up my new NAPA voltage regulator - I happened upon a rusty bird's nest on the front side of the radiator support bulk head. Looking through the grill - down on one knee - I noticed the horn relay and a replacement voltage regulator fastened to the outside wall, adjacent to the grill.

I've never seen anybody do that before. Took the driver's side front pan (for the lack of a better word) off so I could gain access to the area and there were corroded wires running everywhere. The four-lead voltage regulator plug was jumped with two wires - splicing 2 poles to each other, twice.

Guess that was part of the one-wire conversion the previous owner did.

The voltage regulator was just hanging there - with a bunch of nasty rust everywhere. The horn relay was right next to it - and the big red wires and two small leads seemed pretty much stock. Why the guy pulled all these leads through the bulk head and mounted everything on the outside - in the weather - I have no idea.

Very odd.

Going to NAPA after work to get a small spool of heavy-duty red wire (for the battery charging lead), a new horn relay, a new condenser for the V/R, and a set of fastening hardware for the horn relay leads.