The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
jkeady

Low-n-tow: lower and keep 8 lug brakes/wheels?

Hi all,

I asked a similar question to this about two years ago. Got busy with life, haven't had much chance to work on the truck, but the bug is biting and I am hoping maybe something's changed in two years.

I have a '70 Custom Camper / 20, 2wd, power drums front and rear, leaf springs in back, stock suspension. The front sits a little lower than the back, I don't know if they all do that or if the front springs are worn out, or what. Here's what I want to do:

Upgrade to newer 3/4 ton disc brakes AND lower the front an inch and the rear 2 or 3 inches. Keep in mind, I want to use this truck for towing, so: want to keep 8-lug wheels, do not want to C-notch the frame.

Has anything come along in the last couple of years to make this easier? When I last asked, no one really had any 3/4 ton front end lower solution other than to cut coils (not gonna happen), and it was speculated that I might be able to mod my rear spring shackles to give me a little more drop without doing a spring-under conversion and C-notching.

Basically:

*Want to convert drums to discs
*Want to lower 1" front / 3" rear
*Do NOT want to lose 8-lug wheels
*Do NOT want to C-notch

What's a boy to do? Thanks again,

Josh

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote