The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Dustystrucktoo

Too much play in steering, told to get

I had my truck inspected a couple of weeks ago. I was told that I needed a new ball joint, and I also needed to get a new steering box. OK I agree with the ball joint. I would like a whole new suspension, but... A new steering box because I have excessive play in my steering?
I brought it home and decided to check the adjustment torx bolt. I loosened the nut, and started cranking down the torx bolt. I tightened it down a a turn or two and secured the nut down. Nice and firm results. Now I am looking at the flex joint coupling.... rag joint. I took it off, cleaned it up and put it back on. No rips, tears, all solid It needed to be cleaned anyways. It looked horrible.
The part that bothers me, is that the guy who inspected my truck told me that I needed a new steering box in order to pass inspection. It was easily adjustable.
So, if you are told that you need a new steering box, ask if there was any effort to see if the play could be tightened up. And if they say it can't be, just point to the center bolt sticking up that has a recess for a torx. Loosen the nut that holds it in place, while holding the bolt in place with a torx, then try tightening the bolt down 1/2 of a turn at a time. Hold the torx bolt in place and tighten the nut down and then test. Or, like me, take a guess and go for the 1 to 2 full turns. 1 turn probably would have done the job.. I have no idea. But I do know that a steering box having play, can be tightened up.
Steering boxes are not cheap. And it doesn't take but a few minutes, not several, just a few minutes to adjust the box.
Dustystrucktoo is offline   Reply With Quote