The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
low900rr

My 69 2wd frame converted to 4wd

I was gonna wait til I got farther along with this but figured it might be useful for someone else. Upon searching and searching and asking lots of questions here I never did find anybody that added leafs to a frame that had coil springs originally in the rear. The front is no problem.........many thanks to diy4x for the awesome and super beefy fgb52 kit. I started out with my 85 K5 with a 12" superlift kit on it, dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. The body was shot so I pulled the motor and trans and traded for the 69 chevy with no suspension under it, just body and frame. Ok so the diy kit in front needs 8" rear 73-87 springs so I had to find another set since the front 12" springs wouldnt work. I sold the 12" fronts and picked up another set of 8" rears(12" lifts use 8" rears with blocks unless you do a shackle flip). Ok now onto the rear. The rear of the 69 frame bumps out cause of the coils so I took some measurements off the k5 frame after it was tore down and figured out the frames are the same width measuring behind the cab of the 69. The k5 frame was shot so I cut the back half off a friends 74 long bed frame he tore down. Took some carefull measurements to figure out the wheelbase and started cutting. The 74 frame is hair taller but no big deal. Heres some pics of the start of it, the frame isnt done yet and will get more attention where the frames are joined. Hope this is useful for someone and please excuse my mess. I dont have much room around the driveway having 64,66 and 69 chevy pickups. Now for the pics.

The K5 before teardown

The 69 when I picked it up

Diy4x kit and 8" rear spings

off with the old

on with the new

69 stepside.......2wd to 4wd
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330675

and the new 66
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=302321
low900rr is offline   Reply With Quote