The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
mr48chev

Re: Seat Belts -n- Seat Belt Tickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteSS454 View Post
I myself don't wear my lap belt. Anyone else that gets in my truck does but when I get pulled over I inconspicuously buckle it real quick. It sucks trying to get out of the truck when you're being held in and fall out the side like I have before. Plus, most things on the roads around me are little tin cans that would peel back if my truck even touched them.
Trust me it sucks a lot more if you get thrown around inside the truck if an when it rolls I did and packed the bruises from being bounced around for several years when My 70 long bed rolled in 1989. I had gotten in a hurry and didn't fasten my belt. I was very lucky not to be thrown out and have the truck land on me.

Seat belts saved my life twice in Viet Nam in two helicopter crashes. The first time I looked down after being in the air for 20 minutes and discovered that I hadn't fastened the belt/harness. less than a half hour later we crashed in tall trees and were hanging upside down about five feet off the ground.

When I rolled the truck I was just a mile from my house and a gal pulled out in my lane and waited for traffic to go by in the other direction. I missed her and hit loose gravel and spun and then rolled over a bank into a pasture.

In this state we have a manditory seat belt law but in this county we loose at least one person a week on the average due to being thrown out of a vehicle when it rolls. For some reason they are usually young, female, Hispanic and attractive, or they photo in the obits show that they had been.

When I was working as a mechanic in different shops in Texas an Washington in the 70's I couldn't count the number of cars I got in and found no seat belts and the owner bragged how he had cut them out because he didn't like them. For some reason those guys were almost always the age I am now.

That said, the biggest ongoing battle I have with my wife is that she doesn't like to wear seat belts. She has had at least two no seat belt tickets that I know of and I keep telling her that I don't want to have to call her mother to tell her that she got hurt or killed because she didn't have one on.

Last edited by mr48chev; 05-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote