The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Nova_Cobra64

Disc Swap, Stay 6 Bolt Or Go 5 (Situation Specific)?

As my garage build comes along I am starting to think forward to the next project, restoring the 69. I know the job is going to be a very long process, I have no intention of pushing it just to have it done, that is when people tend to not really do their best work. So if it is a 5 year project, so be it.

But.....I want to go into it with direction. I am slowly working things out in my head. Some pretty cut and dry, others that need more thought. The topic at hand right now, is 5 lug versus 6 lug. The truck is currently 6 lug, and I will be converting to disc brakes from a 71 donor that I will soon be buying. Seems pretty simple, but the issue has quite a few angles. The differential in the truck was rebuilt 5 years ago and has only about 1000 miles max on it. It was changed to 4.11 gears, new eaton posi, and all new bearings. Obviously, I want to retain the gearing and posi. From here I could either swap the posi unit and gears into the donor's differential, or get the 6 lug hub and rotors for the front end.

Points of consideration:
- How much would each option effect wheel selection (availibility of 6 lug versus 5 lug wheels, wider 71 differential, ect)?
- Currently no intention of going rear disc, but it appears that as of right now there is really no cheap DIY rear disc swap for the 6 lug.

So if anybody could chime in as far as what might be the better route in this case, I would appreciate it.
2013 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1650 - The reason no work gets done on the project truck.
Nova_Cobra64 is offline   Reply With Quote