The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
JimmyFloyd

What would be causing this?

Well, I finally re-wired the blazer the other day, and have got it so that it will start from the key. This is the 2nd startup of it after the rewire.

If you listen, it starts, but does not sound too good and stalls out. Why would it sounds like this, and what should I do to fix it.

A little background info: When I bought it, it was running and ran fine with the use of a remote start switch attached to the starter, and the HEI and elec. fuel pump attached to the battery. No wiring was hooked up. It ran and sounded great and I had it running on it's own for a good 15 minute. Actually drove the truck off the trailer and into the garage under it's own power. Since then, I have not started it, which has been about 2 months.

With the re-wire, i added the HEI to the firewall plug in the old coil wire spot (new 12ga wire from firewall to HEI) and that is how it was in this video. The elec fuel pump is still directly on the battery cause I am waiting for my tank to get back, so that hasn't changed (although I borrowed some gas from the gas can it pulls from, but there's still a bunch there)

After this, i could not get it to fire up again. It would turn like it wanted to, but never actually fired. I checked the voltage at the HEI, and on run I get 12V, but at cranking, I go down to 8V, which I know is not enough to fire the HEI, so I think this is part of my issue. Once I found this, i removed that wire and went back as directly connected it to the battery once again, and I charged the battery for a couple hours. I tried to fire it again, and this time it tried to fire a couple times, but still never caught for more than 30 seconds.

And this is where i left it. So I seem to have a couple issues. First and foremost, the not firing issue, second the 8V on cranking on the Fuse Panel.

Any help or insight on these would be very helpful. Thanks