The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

68 I looked at today, questions

Ive been looking for a period correct camper to run on my K20. I found one through a buddy, but it comes with a 68 Chev camper special truck under it.

The only problem with the camper is that it is a little short for the bed. Gap between the camper and the back of the cab is pretty large..6-8 inches. I always thought all the long bed trucks were the same length between manufacturers. No?

Now as far as the truck goes...yes its an anniversary truck. It is really really rusty though. Hood, fenders, grill, support, rockers, corners, box even the power brake booster looks ready to rust through...LOL.

It does have an interesting add on though. The guy called it a gear splitter. Its made by Warn. Its a long shift arm that sits to the left of the four speed arm. Is this something that's worth having and would it work with the four speed on my K20. Is this kinda like having an overdrive..or just a lot more gears like the big rig guys have?

He's had this thing since 78 and never had the camper off. I asked if he still had the tailgate thinking this might be a hard to find take off tailgate. He had it and no it wasn't nice, very well used with toneau snaps even.

Im trying to figure out if this thing is worth having considering the camper is a weird size. Im thinking about a reskin anyway, might be able to close up the goofy gap. I have no idea what the frames of campers look like under the skin. Im assuming its wood.

Maybe the gear splitter is worth putting in my other truck?

Any comments or ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by CG; 05-25-2009 at 02:16 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote