The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
coolair

Radiator upgrade

Well my truck has been on the road for a little over 2 years now and during the summer months I spend more time looking @ my temp gauge than the road. My truck was an original V8 with AC truck so I had the OEM HD radiator checked out by a local shop - he stated it was in top condition, should have no problems.

On a 90 degree + day, which are many in SA, TX, the gauge would creep up to around 210-215 range. It still ran good, never went over 215 so I decided to live with it. Late last summer, I noticed after driving over an hour, the temp would start creeping higher the longer I drove it so I always stayed close to home and it never got over 220. Two weeks ago, I went for a 20 mile cruise and it went directly to 220+. That was enough for me.

Being in the AC business, I've heard good and bad about every radiator company but know several people with Be Cool Radiators and happen to know one of the guys working there so I call and asked his opinion. He stated that they had just come out with a stock dimension down-flow radiator so I ordered one up along with the mounting brackets for the dual 11 inch fan assembly that I already was running with my system.

Installed the radiator last week-end - first I just replaced the radiator and kept the 190 thermostat then went for a test drive - 200 degrees max. I thought very good - 20 degree drop w/radiator only. Next was changing to a 180 thermostat and a test drive - dropped another 10 degrees. Man, I can live with that!!

It wasn't a direct drop in as the tanks are a little wider so mods were made to the bottom saddles but not too big of a deal - for a 30 degree temp drop - it was worth it.
coolair is offline   Reply With Quote