The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
av8tr33337

Removing A Cab

I've had several people ask me about the way I removed my cab with an engine hoist or as I call it a "cherry picker". I know this was not my original idea because I saw it here first on someones build thread, but I get several questions from people on the safest and easiest way to use this method. This is only how I did it and someone may have a better method.

Use a good 2X8 that about 4 inches longer than the width of the cab. Don't try to simply go through the window openings as you could screw up your doors . Slip the cherry picker boom through the window opening of one of your doors till the tip of the boom is about centered in the front window. Raise it till its about 6 inches from the ceiling of the cab. Slide your board in through the window opening letting it ride the top of the cherry picker. Once you have it close, raise the boom until the board makes contact with the top of the door openings. 3 things to Check for: Make sure the board has about 2inches sticking out both sides of the cab. Make sure the board is as far forward in the door opening as possible without getting into the radius. (this should balance the cab front to back) Make sure the tip of the boom is centered in the front window. You are ready to lift. Make sure the floor is swept well. Running into debris will cause the cab to swing. Also to help avoid swinging, try not to push on the cab. You should be able to glide easily with a clean floor by simply pushing on the cherry picker.

If a 2X8 makes you nervous go with a 4X6

Hope this helps. Remember, there are many ways to skin a cat. I usually work alone and this is an easy way for me to remove a cab by myself. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup

Last edited by av8tr33337; 06-03-2009 at 11:54 PM.
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote