The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
swissarmychainsaw

Looking to Buy 73-80 Tips?

I'm looking to pick up a 73-80 truck and wondering if you guys have some advice on what to look for/be worried of.

Since I live in California, rust issues are more minor, but smog is tougher!
So here is my checklist of preferences:

1. Stock is better.
It's easier to work on stock motor, etc. if it is stock. You know what you are dealing with. The old "I don't know where this 350 Motor came from" is not what you want. Also easier to get a motor you know about to pass smog.

2. Go for options packages.
Lots of trucks I see have hardly any options, it's better to have an optioned truck, as the potential re-sale is better. A/C, tilt cruise, headliner, etc.

3. Cosmetics are everything.
A crappy vehicle with great paint is "worth more" than a crappy "Looking" vehicle with a brand new motor!

It seems that common issues (other than rust) are:
1. Bent Hoods (expensive to fix)
2. sagging doors ($150 per door, kit plus labor?)
3. Missing A/C compressor/parts (expensive)
4. Heater cores or plugged up (cheap, but labor intensive)
5. Torn up seats. (cover it? seems that a full seat rebuild could get pricey!)

I'm leaning towards a short bed, cause space is limited. I'm looking for a little hobby truck to take the dirtbike out on weekends, and take the kid to daycare with. Mom keeps asking "are these safe?" ;-)

Gas mileage is another factor that kinda hurts. I found exactly *one* truck that had a more modern tranny in it (TH700R4).

My grandpa bought a 76 GMC Trailering Special brand new in '76, and I'd kinda like to share the fun/relive the dream with my new boy (even if he's a bit too young still)! 454, th400, 4:11. My dad got it, but sold it right before I turned 16...wonder why! LOL

In terms of projects, having a youngster prevents me from doing much more than TLC, maintenance, and maybe some interior stuff. Just no time!

Thanks!
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote