The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

BBC Chevy 454 and what tranny?

Well I picked up my first part of my build (my 71 cab) and have a rolling chassis that will be shipping to my house from indiana in a few weeks.

Time to start getting a motor started and get an idea of what direction i need to go to reach what my goal is.

I really was debating between a SBC and BBC and well a BIg Block won.

On to the build. I want a goal of around 500 HP give a few extra LOL I am guessing the best way to do this is to purchase a bare block and have a machinist work on it to get it in perfect condition.
What list of parts from start to finish (im probably starting with a bare block and will need to finish it off with a carb to run) would everyone recommend to reach my goal? I have read and many said a 496 sroker kit. I am going to drive it on the street quite a bit and of course at the track just as much. Im not gonna say money is no object but I would like to make sure I am getting a quality reliable BBC.
Also what would be a good tranny to put behind this motor?

any and all help would be awesome!! Also what is a good price to pay for a 454 block to get done up? i know 4 bolt mains anything else to look for?
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote