The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Sillyoldman

Customer service rant

Well since the weather is getting nice again I have re kindled my interest in fixing up Ugly Betsy my 63 fleet side. Even though I have a Autozone just minutes from the house and a Schucks a little further away I've decided to go to Napa. The closest Napa is about ten miles, but I figured the service would be worth the trip. On may 20th I went there to get some parts. While I was in line a I caught the tail end of a confrontation between the counter guy and a customer. The customer stormed out and then came back yelling. I stood up for the employee as it seemed the other guy was out of line. When My turn came up I explained that I was uncertain of the fan belt size that I needed so the guy suggested that I buy two and toss them on and return the one that didn't work. I did just that. Now keep in mind this motor is new has new pulleys as well. Today I go back there with my receipt planning on returning it and getting some other things. I see the very same guy that sold me the parts. I explained to him that he'd suggested that I buy both belts and return one after I figured out what fit best. He grabbed the belt and twisted in back wards and said "I can't return this, you ran it". I asked what he meant. He said theres residue in the grooves, you ran it. I started to tell him that it was never ran and then the phone rang. Even though the other two people were not busy the dude helping me decided it would be beneficial to grab the phone while I was talking. I removed myself and found the manager. I told him that I understand their standpoint. Just the same time I'd be wasting my time to try to work them out of twelve bucks. Mostly I did not appreciate their unsubstantiated accusations that were very short of calling me a liar. I also told him that if they are assuming that I'm returning a used belt then its safe for me to assume they sold me a used belt. The belt was not even dirty. I wiped out a couple grooves with my finger and yes I got some black rubber on my finger. It was a powdery rubber which I assumed was from the manufacturing process.The guy was such a jerk with me I feel bad for standing up to the other customer in his defense because based on the guys attitude I'm pretty sure he instigated the whole thing. The more I looked at the guy the more I wanted to wring his neck. I really wanted to challenge the guy to go out back and randomly select another new belt and check it too. Needless to say I will no longer shop there. If I have to be subjected to poor I can do it closer to home and not be insulted during the process.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote