The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
mr48chev

Re: Advice on getting rid of my 69(forgive the story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Question...does the title go with the frame or cab? Or...is it a state by state regulation? Also...could a person just go and apply for a lost replacement title. Just some ideas. Good Luck 69Rob with your quest.

The serial number is on both. The prudent and legal thing to do would be to buy a parts truck with legal title that either has a good cab or good frame (or both ) and use That component and then apply for a rebuilt title.

One thing, were there any old registration papers in the truck when you got it or license plates on it or other indications of who might have owned it, at least at one time.
I had to track down the person who last owned one vehicle about 20 years ago when someone came along and offered way more then I had in it or thought it was worth. When I got it I wasn't worried about a title because I was going to strip it an then cut the rest up and haul it for . I had to jump through a few flaming hoops to do it but I did get ahold of the last person who the truck had been registered to and get a signed and notorized release of interest. It turned out that they had sold it as a parts car a few years before with the title and the title got lost somewhere when it changed hands several times after that.

If you do that don't mention that you have put a bunch of money and new parts in it or someone might just show up to claim "Dad's old truck" with title in hand and the Sheriff along for the ride.

I'll be honest, the way things go now, I wouldn't spend a nickle on any truck that I bought or was given that didn't have a title in my name unleouss I could get proof positive that I owned it. Either by a signed release of interest, bill of sale from a wrecking yard or auction or other documentation.

You probably have already but if you haven't and there are papers in the glove box or in other places in the truck sort through them and see if the title might be mixed in with them.
I was just in the middle of cutting up an 86 S-10 Blazer when the glove box popped open and out fell a stack of papers. Right in the big middle of them was a signed title for the Blazer that the guy who had given it to me said had no title.

I should have put this piece up first=
In this state and most others you can apply for a bonded title. That is,you have the truck inspected by who ever inspects vehicles in that state (usually somone connected with the State Patrol). If everything checks out (meaning it wasn't reported stolen) you then apply for a bonded title that will become a clear title in X amount of them if no one shows up to contest the bonded title. Once I had it to a point of where it could pass inspecton and run and drive that is what I would do if it were me.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote