The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

My engine combo. Comments or suggestions welcome

First off, let me say that I am working with what I have already and a limited budget, so there are some compromises here.
  • Early 350 4 bolt main block, 2 piece rear seal, flat tappet cam. Bored .030, all fresh. Dished pistons
  • New Vortec heads from Summit
  • Comp cams 268H High Energy
  • Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec intake
  • 600 Holley or 750 Carter AFB
  • stock ramhorn exhaust manifolds for now. Dual exhaust with mufflers.
  • HEI

I believe the dished pistons and the 64cc chambers on the vortec heads will give me just above 9:1 compression ratio. Also, the 268 cam won't go beyond the stock vortec valve springs. I am buying an intake anyway, so I am going with the Performer RPM to allow future growth. In the past, I have always felt my Performer RPM intakes noticeably outperformed to regular Performer even on a mild engine like this. I Have both the 600 and 750 carbs and will likely run the 600 to start with. I will get headers when I can spare some more cash down the road.

here is what comp says about the cam...

268H High Energy™ is our most versatile cam.
It is a great high performance cam for small blocks and a powerful cam for big blocks. With its noticeable idle and great all-around power, the 268H cam is great for daily driven performance vehicles. The 268H cam is an ideal cam for pickup drivers who want major power increases. It is also good for big blocks towing heavy loads equipped with lower optional rear end gears.

268 adv duration, 218 at .050 duration, .454 lift, 110 degree centerline

This is for my 63 truck, daily driven, lots of highway miles, auto transmission and 3.07 rear gears with a 28 inch tall tire.

Anyone care to offer opinions or desktop dyno this to see what I can expect ?