The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
gontek

How-to questions

I am a beginner here, have a bunch of noob mechanical questions here, so bear with me and go easy on me. Also assume I have no Idea what I am doing or talking about. I am fighting my tendency here to jury rig my truck and engine support systems with incorrect parts or hardware store pluming, I'd want to do this right, the first time.

1. I replaced my TH-400 transmission fluid dipstick with a new chromed one, I wanted to replace the dipstick tube with my new chrome on but could not get to the bolt that holds it down on the back of the engine. My 70 C-10 has a 350 with AC. I think I could get a 9/16" wrench on it but could not get into a position to leverage the bolt loose. Would I have to remove the hood or the distributor to get better access? If so, that was more than I wanted to do in the heat in my garage Saturday morning. Maybe I just need to try again now that the temperature has dropped and I serviced the important parts of the tranny.

2. I was going to replace my PCV valve, but there is a 90° ell between the PCV valve and the hose. The Ellbow is plastic, when I pulled on the old PCV valve to remove it, it looked like I might pull that ell out of the hose so I stopped. Am I being too delicate and just need to brut force this, or are there tools or tricks I am not aware of? Where could I get that hose/ell to replace them, the hardware store? Id like to just replace the hose, ell, and valve while I am at it.

3. I also need to hook up my radiator overflow, where the hose attaches to the radiator, I am thinking hardware store fittings there.

sorry no photos.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 06-29-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: removed parts request
gontek is offline   Reply With Quote