The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
landarts
landarts

New seat cover - Make it new with pics

What I have here is a 72 LWB Cheyenne . I am in the process of rebuilding the seat and thought possibly someone could use this information. First let me say that I pulled the seat out of the truck and disassembled the seat by first cutting off all hog rings then removing the old factory stock seat cover. After I removed the seat covers I pulled out all of the seat cover wires and laid them on top of the old cover in their respective locations. Then I inspected the springs and the bottom support and top support area. What I found was all springs were in great shape except for one spring on the bottom support had snapped out of its holding place and was missing about 1/2" of the spring area that slips thru a holding slot. So I clamped down the spring in that area and welded to the location.....took about 3 minutes from the time I pulled out the welder. Then after closer inspection I found a little grease and roughly unpainted areas on the frame. I then removed the grease with some degreaser, washed off the entire frame with soap and water then let dry. Set everything up out in the yard to give it a couple of light coats of gloss black spray paint. I let everything dry over night.

Day two
I went to the local fabric store and purchased a product called (Nu-Foam) in the 1/2" size, it is a non-allergenic foam substitute that is easy to work with and cost about $6.50 a yard. I also purchased a product called "Heirloom" cotton batting, it comes in various sizes. I purchased a bag that was 90" x 108" . When I got back to the house I laid the seat cover out on the fence to get it heated up and make things a little more pliable to work with.

I laid the Nufoam on a table and put the bottom seat foam upside down and traced the top of the seat out on the foam and proceeded to cut it out. Then I put the bottom support up on the table, put the foam bottom of the seat on top of the frame and the newly cutout of Nufoam on top of the old foam. Everything looked great from there. So I proceeded with the Heirloom cotton batting layer on top of the entire seat cushion and let it hang down low all the way around. I also had a few scrap pieces of Nufoam that I positioned under the springs on both ends ( see Picts). The reason for this was the springs in those location had really wore that area of foam and I thought this would give it a new area of support for the springs. Now was the time to pull the new seat cover over the assembly of old and new foam and give it a test sitting before I moved on to the stretching and fastening. It felt perfect, not overly plump but firm in all locations.

See next post for the final product.
Attached Images