The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Igotachevyor2
Apache Club

Project Dad's Truck. 2wd to 4wd

where to start. last year my dad past away. he never had much a very simple life but we shared a passion for ol' Chevrolet trucks and deer hunting. over the years he had several trucks that he worked out of and a couple of old hunting trucks. as the years wore on and his health degraded he gave up hunting and had one truck to kick around in a 1974 C-10 that my cousins pieced together from old round track parts and the junk yard. i brought the truck home last fall and used it as a daily driver for a while. i got to thinking last spring if he would have had an option he would not have been driving an old beater he would have had a nice 4x4. well i have a 86 K5 Blazer in the pasture and thought about swapping the 4x4 parts over to the 2 wheel drive but it seemed like more work than i was interested in at the time and before long i put the idea on the back burner.
fast forward to last Monday. i was going home from work and seen this 4 door long wheel base truck go by on 35's and my heart started jumping. i thought i sure would like to have a nice 4x4. i realized then that dads truck had a destiny that was not fulfield......yet

what im in the process of is taking all the 4x4 components from the K5 and transfering to the C10. i will swap in the 700R4 and the edlbrock goodies from the K5's motor. i also intend to put the power brake booster from the blazer on as well. i have already swapped the power doors over and the steering column a few months ago. i am not sure what all problems i will run in to but im sure to over come them one at a time.

here is what we are working with.
1974 C-10 short fleet
350 stock built
junk headers
350 turbo
power steering (added last year after they broke 2 ribs resuscitating him)
manual brakes
rusted dual glass packs
aluminum wheels (5 lug)

1986 K5 Blazer Silverado
350 blown head gasket
edlebrock performer intake
edlebrock 1406 carb
junk headers
700r4 (built to the hilt with all the upgrades and goodies, corvette servos)
2 trans coolers with remote filter and temp gage
3" body lift
35" all terrain tires

Last edited by Igotachevyor2; 07-13-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Igotachevyor2 is offline   Reply With Quote