The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
jsmithbm

First Timers Build/Super Stock 70 Step

So, I was ask by several people if i would be doing a build thread. I didn't know if it would interest you all. I've read many many post and they all interest me. Maybe the same is true for other people. I will read 1500 pages of material before i try something new. However I am a visual learner. Just a quick run down on my background, then on to the photos. I know you all like the pic's more than reading this stuff. LOL. Anyhow, I was a Police Officer for about ten years, retired and moved on to something else. I followed several of my buddies and went into the Insurance business as an Estimator/Adjuster. I have good street sense so to say but mechanical and body knowledge has all been obtained from watching Stacey David and the others on TV. Enough about that. I have been wanting an old Chevy Truck for some time. I have been asking a lot of questions and going out to see a lot of trucks. This past 4th, i went back to my hometown where my parents lived. I showed them a truck that had been on Craigs list for a few weeks. Made an offer and bought the truck. Here is what the owner had posted for pics on his listing.

It's a twenty footer at most, and thats stretch. Well it's a 1970 Chevy C/10, Step w/spare mounted on bed. It has a L6/250. Power nutting. So i bought the truck, it idled great so thought we would drive it home.
I've driven several 5 speeds in my life but never a three speed, on the tree.
So i driver out his driveway and out of the neighborhood. Headin to the main road it cuts off. GREAT!!! Pull off to the side and Dad pulls up, Whats wrong, "CANT YOU DRIVE THAT (Insert your choice word here) thang. Thought maybe it was out of gas. The PO drives by and waves....... (not even going to put down what i thought of that. But hey he sold it as is, not his concern right. Well thats not how i operate and i don't think most on here do either. So we go get gas, added it and fired right up. I know we should have taken some with us and maybe even a dolly, but PO stated he has been driving it around town. So we get almost home and it does the same thing. We call a Tow. 75 bucks to get it three miles home. Here are some pics i took after we got it home.

Not sure how much i can put into one post......

Last edited by jsmithbm; 07-13-2009 at 12:33 AM.
jsmithbm is offline   Reply With Quote