The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
hillytim69

Rocker arm/valve cover contact...

Still working some bugs out of the new engine (383). Decided to re adjust the rockers after breaking in and I found evidence of 4 rocker arms polishing the insides of my Old Holley aluminum valve covers. They are similar to the old M/T ones. Anyway they are just barely rubbing on the pushrod end of the rocker towards the intake mainfold. Anyway in my earlier flexplate wobble post I mentioned a whistle or squeal noise and I think I found it. Funny thing is I have regular style stamped 1.5 ratio long slot rockers, nothing fancy. I ran these same style Crane long slot rockers on these same heads before (World S/r's) with different valve covers and no issues. I could clearance them with the die grinder but heck with it, I'm getting some stamped steel valve covers because these aluminum ones are pretty thick. I'll let you guys know if my little noise stops. If I ever get the bugs worked out my next issue is to lower the ass end (Heavy Half). I did put 2 " lowering springs in the front when i had it all apart and it would look cool if this were 1985. back in the day we all put air shocks on our cars and looked for the gas station with the highest air hose psi to get it up there sky high...
hillytim69 is offline   Reply With Quote