The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

6 lug disc w/88 and up parts

A guy posted this on the hamb, heres the link to the whole thread:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=379775

here is a copy and paste of his post, you will have to link over to the hamb thread to see the responses, there is some good extra info...

what do you guys think of this ? might be the cheapest way to modernize if it is all bolt on...

Heres a tech article for 60-66 chevy pickups that want 6lug disc brakes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have pics of my setup yet because my camera is broken but I will try and talk you through the fairly inexpensive install.

Its not really that hard. If you know how to change spindles do a brake job that sort of thing.

Here goes.

You will need a set of spindles from a 1988 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton chevy pickup or 1/2 ton spindles should work also, infact my spindles are half ton spindles that are dropped 2" but stock ones will work the same.

They bolt in place of the stock coil spring spindles from the 63-66 coil spring chevy pickup front ends.

You should be able to find these spindles at most any bone yard as these late model trucks are plentiful now. But they need to be the 88 model year tho because there were some changes I believe after 88. Mine are 88 model spindles and brakes.

Well bolt your late model spindles up, but make sure your carefull when tearing down the old ones because that front spring is under alot of tention and can fatally hurt someone if the proper methods aren't used for letting the tention off of the springs.

Next you need a set of 88 model 3/4 ton 6Lug brake rotors. They take an A3 outer bearing and an A5 inner bearing you will want to pack the bearings full of grease before installing and you will need a new inner seal for the rotors also. The seal will be for an 88 also.

Next you will install the 88 3/4 ton 6 lug rotors onto your newer style spindles with the new bearings and seals.

Then buy brake calipers and brake pads for an 88 3/4 or 1/2 ton 2wd pickup then install them with new hoses.

And your done other than bleeding the brakes and your normal maint procedures for installing the wheels etc....

Then You to can have 6lug disc brakes on an old chevy without sacrificing the 6 lug bolt pattern.

And you can keep your stock rearend.

As far as I can tell everything seems to work fine I haven't got my panel truck driving yet to see if it drives the same as the regular 5 lug disc brakes but I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

You can also use 2" drop spindles for an 88 chevy fullsize halfton if you want the truck lowered more instead of the stock 88 spindles.

I used 1/2 ton dropped 88 spindles with the 3/4 ton rotors and halfton calipers but I checked the part numbers at orielys and the calipers are the same for both 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons with the 6 lug rotors.

The 8 lug rotors might work also for you 3/4 ton 60's truck owners. But I haven't checked into those yet.

I hope you can understand my tech post and if you need some pics of the spindles and rotors I will try to find a camera and take pics of the ones I have if some one needs it.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote