The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

Trail Closures and Land Usage..

Yeah I guess Im gonna be "That guy"... the one who preaches about how we need to take our trail maintenance into our own hands.. The guy who gets red in the face to hear about sh!t like this.. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/1272233102.html

Well, being as I am just learning how many of my local trails/ohv areas are under the watchfull eye of the DOT and OAC, and other greeny organizations I have yet to learn about. I feel it is my duty to at least try and educate my fellow wheelers as to how bad things have become. Last year, one of my favorite local wheeling spot was shut down due to pollution and environmental impact. I heard a rumor that "Greenhorn Creek" was going to be shut down and there was a clean up day that might effect the decision. I showed up on the "clean up day" spent the day picking up shotgun shells, beer cans, car parts, and trash. The difference was definitely noticeable, but apparently the effort wasnt enough. Now let me say, I am no tree hugger, and I probably the farthest thing from a greeny that there is. My dd gets 10 miles per gallon and if my wheel should brush a tree, knocking the bark off, I don't feel bad. I am an advocate of our sport and I am willing to do what it takes to ensure that future generations get to enjoy the sport (or hobby). The thing that pisses me off the most about the whole situation, is that these closures/ land grabs happen without the notice from most of the public. To say it differently: This crap is happening behind our backs!!
There is no notice on TV, there was so much as an article in the newspaper until the final verdict had been reached. We were not given hardly any chance to correct the negative impact off roader's, punk kids and people in general, have made over the years (I partied here when i was young). They just took it away, and wasted my tax dollars on policemen to enforce the closure, when I think the public could have been informed and the impact lessened over a greater amount of time, and on a more frequent basis.
I know a lot of people think that because they don't live in commifornia like me, this wont effect you, and that may hold true for awhile. but if you think about it, a lot of our laws become precedent. The greenies are attacking our sport, not thats this is anything new. They seem to have just fancy ways to do it. What has really set me off about this whole thing is a portion of the Rubicon trail in northern California (which I havent even had the chance to wheel yet) that will be blasted away so as not to attract as much attention and eventually reduce the amount of human waist and trash that is so prevalent in the area. Also to prevent erosion, and pollution of waterways. I also hear that the damage to vehicles has been a problem, and the bypass trail needs work. That or they close the trail. Its a badazz section that people like to chill and watch the rock crawlin chaos... Some people are stupid and some have no respect.. There are people who hate our sport and capitalize on these people's mistakes. I used to be one of the people who stupidly threw my beer cans in the forest and left my cigg butts all over the trails. Just simply didn't know any better at the time (16-18yrs old). Im not asking everyone who reads this to plant a tree or pick up trash (although trail maint. and cleanups help) . Im just opening discussion on the matter and taking suggestions as to to make sure we keep our trails open.
As I said, I have heard little to none about this until I trolled around some of the rock crawling websites. After heavy trolling and research, I am learning just how much land they purpose to take away from us, and as an American, i just cant sit back and allow that to happen. So I feel it is my duty to at least inform people and let them decide if they are going to help make a difference. Maybe some of you know of some land or trail closures and could help to post info to help spread the word. there are even ways to help on the internet. This for instance: http://solareis.anl.gov/ they plan to give public land (think ohv, maybe research this on your own a little) for the use of solar and wind energy.. I know we need alternate sources of energy, but really... We need to shut down an ohv access and land that has been used by those who love our sport? All so the damned energy companies can make money off of us? Ridiculous in my mind, the way I see it if those fawkers want land, they can buy it like any other company has to.. Private land like the rest of us have to... Not our public lands. They are hitting us hard guys, and I urge you, if you care about 4wheeling in the future to please become active in land use rights.. Let the discussions begin!!!

Last edited by Eturnit3; 07-17-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Eturnit3 is offline   Reply With Quote